Saturday, April 30, 2005

God Bless the Queen!

With the Champions League semifinal having 2 English teams, 1 Italian & 1 Dutch, the question doing the circles is: “Which is the best footbal league in the world?”

I think the 4 best leagues in the world are English Premier League (Premiership), Spanish League (La Liga), Italian League (Serie A) and German League (Bundesliga). The German & Italian leagues are too technical and they tend to play more defensive football. They rely more on counter attack. If you remember you would have seen a lot of 1-0 scorelines in a German or Italian games. Spanish & English play the more attacking & innovative football. But I think the English league (EPL) is more fast & flamboyant than Spanish. There is action all the time. There is a lot more urgency & the team is usually looking to score all the times. So to me, EPL is more attractive & more entertaining. I do not know if it’s the best, but it certainly is more captivating than the rest.

What do you think?

3 Comments:

At Mon May 02, 08:29:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, but only to an extent. IMO, The Spanish La Liga is more ruthless and physically demanding than EPL and the kind of defences you come across in La Liga can be seen only in a few EPL teams and that is why it is hard to score against those hard-walled La Liga defences. And that's exactly the same reason why I think Barcelona was fabulous this season and Real Madrid struggled.
A fair amount of games have to be seen in both the leagues to make a fair judgement. Being in India where EPL is covered widely than the La Liga, what we see on TV is not everything of La Liga.

Having said that, I am also a big fan of EPL (could be because we get to see more of EPL here in india) and teams like Chelsea, Arsenal, Man U. I think Chelsea seem to be the better team of the 3 these days because of their consistency at both home and away. Out of the top 3, I also like the Tottenham Hotspurs.

 
At Mon May 02, 08:30:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

'Out of the top 3, I also like the Tottenham Hotspurs.'

* I meant outside of top 3 :)

 
At Mon May 02, 12:47:00 PM EDT, Blogger tifoc said...

You are absolutely right. La Liga is tougher & harder to score. I think a lot of Barcelonas success has been cos of one man...Ronaldinho...He is just too good. He is both a playmaker & a scorer. I thought his world cup histrionics was a flash in the pan, but he has proved otherwise.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home